Top local apps in New Zealand for tourists
- CamperMate: An app that provides information on campsites, freedom camping spots, public toilets, showers, and other facilities for travelers in New Zealand.
- NZ Bus: An app for New Zealand’s largest intercity bus operator. It provides information on bus schedules and tickets.
- Zoomy: A car-sharing app that is available in Auckland and Wellington.
- Booking.com: A popular online booking platform for hotels, apartments, and other vacation rentals in New Zealand. It has a wide selection of properties to choose from, including budget-friendly hostels and luxurious resorts.
- Airbnb: A peer-to-peer rental platform that allows you to rent rooms or entire apartments from local residents in New Zealand. It is a good option for travelers looking for a more authentic Kiwi experience.
Food and Drink
- Menulog: A food delivery app that allows you to order food from your favorite restaurants in New Zealand.
- My Food Bag: A meal delivery service that delivers pre-portioned ingredients and recipes to your door. It is a good option for travelers who want to cook their own meals while traveling.
- Zomato: A restaurant discovery app that provides information on restaurants, menus, and reviews in New Zealand.
Communication and Utilities
- Google Translate: A translation app that can translate over 100 languages, including Maori. It is a must-have for any traveler to New Zealand.
- MetService: New Zealand’s official weather app. It provides detailed weather forecasts for all of New Zealand.
- XE Currency: A currency converter app that can convert over 180 currencies. It is a good option for travelers who need to track exchange rates.
- New Zealand Tourism: The official website of Tourism New Zealand. It includes information on attractions, accommodation, and other travel-related resources in New Zealand.
- Lonely Planet New Zealand: A travel guide book that provides information on attractions, accommodation, and food in New Zealand.
- DOC Trails: An app from the Department of Conservation that provides information on hiking trails in New Zealand.
Entertainment & Shopping
- Eventfinda: A website and app that provides information on upcoming events in New Zealand, such as concerts, festivals, and sporting events.
- Trade Me: New Zealand’s largest online marketplace. It is a good place to find second-hand goods, souvenirs, and other items.
- The Warehouse: New Zealand’s largest department store. It sells a variety of products, including groceries, clothes, and electronics.
Payments & Shopping
- VISA and Mastercard are the most widely accepted credit cards in New Zealand.
- American Express is less widely accepted, but it is accepted at most major hotels and resorts.
- PayWave and PayPass are contactless payment systems that are widely used in New Zealand.
- Gohub is a travel eSIM service company providing internet/data connection for travellers around the world.
- Spark: The leading telecommunications provider in New Zealand.
- Vodafone NZ: Another popular telecommunications provider in New Zealand.